A tutorial requested by lovingninadobrev
How to make a silhouette?
- Open your image into Photoshop (any version)
- Make a new layer on top of it.
- Take a round brush from basic brushes set, keep it’s hardness to around 48% and with foreground color set to black paint over your image.
- Then from the adjustments menu, take levels and set them in a way that they give you good contrast between black and white.
After doing these steps you should have this.
How to merge with base image?
- Open your base image into Photoshop
- Drag your silhouette to it. Keep base image layer on top and silhouette layer under it.
- Set the blending mode of your base image to lighten. (By now you should be able to see that your edit is almost done it just needs a coloring to bind everything together)
- Drag a PSD coloring over your edit, something that looks good on it or may be if you’re good at it you can do a coloring yourself.
Optional: I wanted it to have a little blurry look so I duplicated both silhouette and base image layers, added a little gaussian blur on them (lower down opacity and fill if needed) and that’s it.
If you want darker look you can flatten all of the layers into one, duplicate it and set it’s blending mode to softlight, if it’s too dark lower the opacity.
I hope it helps. This tutorial doesn’t require layer masking so I am sure it will be easier for all of you to understand (:
Download the project file here.