Requested by malditodesejo
Download project file here to get started, it contains PSD file of the tutorial, Harry Styles picture and the flag.
- Open Harry’s picture in Photoshop.
- Duplicate layer [just to be on the safe side]
- Desaturate the layer by going to image > adjustments > desaturate [keyboard shortcut: shift+ctrl+U]
- Now make a curves layer by going to image > adjustments > curve and make a curve in a way that it gives you good balance between black and white. Your whites should be as white as they could be, same goes for the blacks.
My curves looks like this.
- After setting curves, your image should look like this.
- Now make a new layer and take a round brush, and keep these settings.
- This is a tricky part, use your common sense to paint. We do not want greyish parts in our image. So we will use black and white colors to paint. Black is where your flag will be visible and white will stay white.
In the final output we want vector style image of Harry which mainly has outlines only. So any part that is grey and is an outline will be painted with black. Whereas, any part that is grey and is more of a filler will be painted with white, if needed.
These are my paint strokes.
- Keep the strokes layer under curves layer and above your desaturated image layer.
- Your image should look like this.
- Now on top of all the layer, drag the flag and set it’s blending mode to lighten.
- Adjust the flag until you’re satisfied. It should be looking like this.
- And you are done with your vector edit.
Confused or stuck anywhere? Message me.